Friday, April 6, 2007

Abandonment ほうき (放棄)

Japan hospital sets up drop-off hatch for unwanted babies

Only reason I’m writing about this is because as a hafu child it reminds me of something. In Japan after World War II, a lot of Japanese women got pregnant with American Soldiers. These children where abandoned, thrown away, and killed all because of the stigma of being half anything. These children were often called freaks and doomed to the life on the streets or death

I was actually in a movie that showed this when I was little child called “母たることは地獄のごとく 炎の女”. (I’m one of the kids who yells “Mommy, Don’t Die!” in a scene where Miki is really sick) It’s a story about hafu children after World War II who was abandoned by the Japanese mothers and the lady, Miki Sawada, who rescued and raised them with her devoted staff. Miki Sawada was one of the founders of Mitsubishi’s daughter. She basically sold everything she had to buy back the family estate that the state took from her after World War II to open this orphanage. The orphanage was called the Elizabeth Saunders Home because she was one of the first people to donate her money to this cause. Also this movie had a side story about a half Black /half Japanese guy who was trying to adjust in Japanese society even though they were still looked as an outsider and almost an abomination. He also found his mother and father and that, as you can imagine, didn’t end well. Japanese society can be cruel especially to hafu children back then… actually, I’m pretty sure they still get teased today… because in Japan even if you’re half… you’re not Japanese… and they let you know it every chance they get.

A lot of Japanese people like to write off hafu children born back then as “War Children” as if the women were all raped or something. It’s not true… maybe for some but most of those ladies probably fell in love with those American soldiers. Americans are so different from Japanese men back then that they probably got seduced quite easily. They probably loved and left them pregnant. Single mothers everywhere had a stigma at the time, but if they were Japanese kids they wouldn’t have been left by the women as these kids were. Some Japanese people write it off as, “Well who would want the kids of people occupying your city”. Well… frankly, I’ll tell you this… THAT’S BULLSHIT! I don’t care who the father is that’s still that woman’s child. Which means the child is still part of a family… How dare they think its okay to abandon a child because they don’t look exactly the way you want them! That’s sickening.

Frankly, I blame the old Japanese mentality for that. It’s “there” pride that was hurt, not these women, I’m certain most of those mother’s did not want to leave the child or kill it. But because of that old Japanese mentality of needing the purity of the race, these kids were left like trash. This prejudice of being different made these kids’ life a living hell. As if it was there fault for being half… The reason Miki Sawada cared was because she was more cultured, educated and was exposed to America. Not to mention an incident in which she was accused of abandoning a hafu child on a train. It wasn’t hers and she was cleared of all the charges. She tried her best to get those kids adopted in the US, because these kids were the untouchables in Japan.

I understand there mentality… but that doesn’t mean I have to accept it. That’s where I guess I’m different. Just because I understand, it doesn’t mean it’s excusable. I completely believe morality is something people can identify without the help of a higher being. I don’t believe in god and I still know in my gut when something is wrong. Perhaps it’s because I’m not into “group” thinking that I speak out. But frankly, that’s what I hate about Japanese culture at times. They have this weird superiority complex and think that “group” thinking is all great. Frankly, this superiority group thinking is how all those kids got left and how they justify cruelty.

There is this one part of the movie I recall that really got to me… it’s a scene where the mother is telling the half child (probably around 2) to go through the tunnel and see the “new” mommy. “The tunnel of separation” which still exists today at Oiso, Japan, is where the women left to abandon the kids and babies. I walked through that tunnel when I was little and I couldn’t help but cry going through it… because even if I was only 4 years old, I knew the implications of that tunnel. I knew that it was a place where your mom left you and there was nothing you say or do to stop her from leaving…

Frankly, I’m never going to understand how someone could abandon their own child…

8 comments:

Miko said...

When I was growing up, I knew three Japanese mothers who walked out on their kids, including my own. I'm not saying it's a peculiarly Japanese thing, but it does seem to be tolerated as a kind of acceptable response to an unbearable situation (say, an unhappy marriage, or extreme culture shock), at least more so than in other countries.

I'm a mother myself, and like you I cannot understand how a mother could abandon her own child. But we have no idea how hard life was for those single impoverished "war" mothers, no idea at all. So I reserve judgment on them for now.

Joanna said...

Yes, I'm sure it was hard on them... but I really blame that whole family and society not just the women. As you probably know, Japanese families usually keep thing internal when family problems occur, but the women's family probably pressured her more than anything. (Verbally or non-verbally) Then there was the society in general, allowing this kind of mentality even to this day... That's what I have a problem with, the "If you're not full Japanese, you're not Japanese" Mentality. Who are they do deny half my heritage? It's tough being hafu... You're shut out of half your family... You're teased and pointed at by those people who are half you. It makes you question who you are and if you are okay with being half, when that half mocks you...

Miko said...

Actually I'm passing for white in Japan, life is much, much easier that way! Only a few close friends (and of course my relatives) know that I have a Japanese mother. It was too much pressure on me to be a haafu, and it only confused those Japanese people who still can't wrap their teeny minds around the idea of being from two distinct cultural backgrounds. As you've observed, they seem to think that being "half" of something makes you somehow less of a person, or whatever.

Shutter Bugger said...

Perhaps Prime Minister Abe will deny the existence of abandoned babies just as he denies the existence of sex slaves during WWII.

Anyway, I'm glad for places like Jikei Hospital who value these children even while others turn a blind eye. It's incredible to me that Abe would use the word "unforgiveable" to describe people leaving their unwanted chidlren at Jikei. Naturally, NO ONE would condone abandoning your child, but certainly giving your baby to warm and loving people at a hospital is a lot better than in a shopping cart or at the zoo. I think many Japanese wish these women would just abort so that the society didn't have to deal with this issue at all.

Aixa Kay said...

Thank you for enlightening me about a topic I had no idea about. Like yourself, the tunnel story extremely touched me.
Do you think I can find this movie here in the US? Through Net Flex?

Unknown said...

My mother grew up in the Elizabeth Saunders Home. I believe she was one of the first to live there. Although her mother occasionally came to visit, she remained at the home I think until after high school. Because a lot of this is just recently being told to me, I am now trying to find out more about other people's experiences at the home. There have been several books and documentaries covering this home and its occupants but not that many in English. I would like to put something together and would like to include your story if possible. Please email me if you are available.
Thank you

Sharon in Colorado said...

Joanna, a lot about Sawada Miki-san here:
http://gaijinmama.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/elizabeth-sanders-home/#comment-2141
I woke up this morning to a blurb about Pearl Buck on NPR radio, and thought about Miki. My post is Sharon Schipper on the above site. I met her in 1978. She was a fabulous lady, I need to read some other books about her, she talked to me for hours one day, but it's been 30 years, although it's very vivid, I know I forgot much. Are you in US or Japan now? Don't let bitterness keep you from realizing your calling, to reach out to others with a forum to talk and feel and not be alone, but also to know that we all have worth, no matter if we are "hafu" or whole! Our birth circumstances do not dictate our life circumstances, most of us are able to make choices,
blessings,
Sharon

joni said...

Hi Joanna & Miko ,I am an adult adoptee from the Elizabeth Saunders Home.I agree with your comments.I was lucky i was adopted,my fate may have been much worse.But my childhood and most of my adulthood has been very challenging.I did not get so lucky to get nice adoption family. They were Japanese/American but old school .They seem to still carry on with stigma from Japanese culture/society,when i did something wrong as a young child there was no forgiveness..we don't even speak to each other.I was thrown away like trash again.