Monday, March 26, 2007

Introductions しょうかい (紹介)

Welcome to my blog! This blog is dedicated to the life I lead as a Half-Japanese/Half-American girl.

My mother is Japanese and my father is Caucasian American. The fact I mention my father is white has a meaning on its own. Japanese people tend to be prejudice against many ethnicities, even other Asians. Since Japan is a very ethnically homogeneous they tend to view people in “US VS THEM” mentality. If you’re not full-blooded Japanese born and raised in Japan you are considered an outsider. That includes me. Although, my mother is Japanese born and raised, I’m still an outsider in the Japanese world. This actually is the main problem in my identity crisis. I was raised in Japan until I was about 7 years old. I basically grew up with a lot of Japanese values, but since I started living in America afterwards my Japanese upbringing was mixed with American values. Trust me, it gets confusing at times.

American values tend not to mix with Japanese ones…

Although, I would like to think I have taken the best values out of both cultures, sometimes I’m in a limbo. In this blog, I'll discuss some of these conflicts as well as my journey to reconnect with my Japanese side. Which I'm sad to say is becoming fleeting due to the "US VS THEM" mentality...

Well, what I really want to say is welcome to my blog as I discover what it means to be HAFU or as my sister in Hawaii would say HAPA.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Hi there and thanks for your link. I'll be looking forward to reading your blog and what I'm sure will be unique insights.

Good luck and thanks again!

Joanna said...

Shari:

Thanks for inspiring me. I do have a lot to say about my life as a hafu kid. Keep up the great work on your blog too...

:D

Shutter Bugger said...

Joanna, I think you are doing a great job with your blog. I have enjoyed reading all of your entries. Keep up the good work!