Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Love あい (愛)

Love is overtly complicated in Japanese Culture.

Japanese people tend to have an extremely hard time saying the words “I love you”. Unlike America where everyone perhaps overuse the word “Love”, in Japan the word hardly ever uttered. If a Japanese person says they love you, you better be grateful, they don’t say it often.

This is especially true of Japanese parents.

I have only to this day heard my mother say she loves me ONCE. It took a year silent treatment and an intervention from my husband. My husband (who’s Caucasian) called my family without me knowing, and basically laid it down to my mother that I needed to hear those words come out of her mouth. She tried to explain to him that Japanese people don’t say that, but he basically said “I don’t care” and if you don’t my wife probably won’t make it (meaning I just might end up dying of heartbreak). I admit I was overtly depressed about not hearing those words come out of my mother’s lips and there was a chance I would have taken my own life. Because I have to say I truly love my mother and not hearing the words back absolutely broke my heart.

This all occurred this year. After she said it to me though, it’s like a weight was lifted from my chest.

This is where being Hafu messes with you. In America, you hear parent’s tell there kids they love them left and right. In Japan, parent’s don’t say such things. I’m certain Japanese parent’s love their children, they just never say it. As my mother used to say, it’s more important to show it than say it. Also how they show it is weird too. Instead of the hugs and kisses American kids get, Asian kids usually get more trust, things, and money. Money was the way my mother showed me affection. She just bought me things including my bachelor’s degree (which I am forever grateful for). Although, it sounds like a cheap way out of giving physical affection, considering how tight money was in our house growing up, giving me money and things actually required a bit of sacrifice on my parents part. My mother got me a lot of things.

However, this lack of saying “I love you” tends to mess with your psyche when you watch American television. Even the dysfunctional families on television say they love their children. Watching this, and knowing that you’ll never hear it from your own mom makes you a bit crazy. Actually, it makes a lot of Asian-Americans who has a first generation parents crazy. When American ideals are bombarding you, you can’t help but to become influenced by them.

Even knowing that Japanese people don’t say the word often, does not comfort you as a child growing up in the states. After all, I am also Half-American being raised in a culture where the words are said freely. You just want to be like all the other kids and have that ideal parent telling you that they love you.

To get an idea why the word love tends to be so sacred, I recall my mother telling me that you should only say you love someone once in your life, which is before you married a person. She told me that the word “love” is a word not to be taken lightly and that if I said those words to someone I should mean it for life. Whether or not you two don’t get along at times, even through betrayal, forgive and love that person till you die.

It’s pretty heavy and pretty unconditional

I asked my mother why she was so unwilling to say it to me, I guess because there word for Love isn’t as multi-facilitate as the American definition for love. Meaning that the word isn’t used for motherly love or friendly love… etc

Frankly, I think there was always a fear that I might disappoint her or not return the love to her and that she didn’t want to chance it, as sad as that sounds…

8 comments:

Shari said...

This was a very interesting post and I want to thank you for putting yourself out there and making it.

I think television is really misleading in regards to how people express affection. My father never said he loved me and my mother only ever expressed it to others and never directly to my sister and I. She'd tell her family or friends how my sister and I were very important to her and she loved us but she'd never tell us.

It was all about what my parents were personally comfortable saying and not about what their children needed to hear. People have a lot of issues with their personal barriers.

I'm not sure if there's any comfort in knowing your mother's reluctance to utter those words was largely cultural in nature or not but my parents were about as white bread as they come and they never said it.

Joanna said...

Shari:

I read about your family on your blog... I can't imagine what you went through, at least I had a chance to write it off as an "Asian" thing. It's amazing how much we rely on others for that comfort, luckily your husband seems like a type of guy who probably showers you with loves... Because I truly believe we all deserve to hear it...

:)

Miko said...

Japanese mother = nightmare! I know, I know! They certainly have different ways of showing their love, usually not verbal. My mother never once told me that she loved me, or even spoke to me except to issue orders or to criticise, but she made really wonderful lunchboxes for me. You should do a post about that.

Joanna said...

Hi Miko,

Welcome to my blog! I think I will write about my mother and her lunchboxes... She made the most amazing lunchboxes for me and there is a funny story behind it.

:D

Miko said...

Looking forward to it!

Shutter Bugger said...

This is the saddest thing ever.

Interestingly, non-Americans think that we just run around saying I love you left and right and hugging and showing affection all day. It simply isn't so. There are many, many, many married American couples in marriage therapy over things like "he never says he loves me". I really believe this is a human condition.

Also, your description of Japanese mother could easily be applied to Indian mothers or Jewish mothers. Again, I think there more things that we have in common as humans than we have difference culturally.

I always say: "At the end of the day, it's just hard to be a person!" and that's all there is to it.

Shutter Bugger said...

Oh gosh, there was recently an article in the paper here in DC about Japanese mothers and their astounding bento boxes. It was a really sweet article! They put a lot of love into those lunches. One lady interviewed in the article has written several books in Japan teaching other moms how to make creative bento boxes. She wasn't a professional book writer. She was just a housewife. This is apparently becoming a craze. And then kids really enjoy opening their boxes at lunch time and showing off to their friends what their mom created.

Aixa Kay said...

Joanna,
I love your blog, and how you are able to go into the details that seem small yet matter a lot to people.
I don't remember my dady saying he loved me, but my mom who was rebillious against our culture's lack of physical affection, and verbal expression of emotion between family members made it a point to always say how she felt.

I am looking forward to the topics you are going to discuss (as mentioned in the last post). Keep up the wonderful work!